We often get asked ‘is laser hair removal worth it?’. Our answer? Hell yes!
If you are seeking a more permanent solution for your unwanted hair woes then laser hair removal could be the best option for you.
But the one thing you must remember is that we don’t wave a magic wand at your unwanted hair and you’ll suddenly be 100% fuzz free. Laser hair removal is a process. And it may take you several sessions and up to 3 months to see significant results.
But that little bit of patience and perseverance is so worth it. Imagine no longer having to shave your legs or underarms. Or never having to endure that aweful time before waxing when you need to let your hair grow for a time. No more struggling with messy hair removal creams.
So if you are thinking about getting laser hair removal, here are some important points that you should be aware of:
- Stay out of the sun before your appointment – ideally you should not sunbathe or intentionally expose your skin to the sun for at least. You can’t receive this treatment if you’re sunburned — or even if you have a tan. A lot of people begin their treatments in the autumn or winter to avoid the issue of sun exposure and to be ready for the summer.
- You should also avoid tanning beds, spray tans, and tanning lotion.
- Shave 24 hours before your appointment. Shave the area you’re getting lasered before your treatment. Unlike waxing you don’t need to grow your unwanted hair out beforehand. Additionally you can’t begin laser hair removal if you have recently had waxing. The laser targets your hair follicle so the follicle has to be there in order for this to work.
- Not everyone’s skin will react well to laser treatments. It’s important that you receive a skin patch test in advance of beginning your treatments to ensure you are a suitable candidate. Possible side effects which may occur include pigmentation, discoloration, and scarring.
- Please allow anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour for your appointment. It all depends of course on the area you are having treated. Underarms and bikini lines will take much less time than the legs or back which can take longer.
- For best results you need to be consistent with your treatments. Hair grows usually in 6 week cycles. So ideally you should come in for treatment at least every six weeks to ensure we catch all hairs which may have been missed in the previous cycle.
- Allow 3 months before you expect to see noticeble results. Dark hair follicles are usually the easiest to treat as it is easier for the laser to detect the hair pigment and therefore zapp the follicle.
- Don’t expect your treatment to be a like any other relaxing visit to the beauticians. You may experience some discomfort. But the long term results are worth it.
- Make sure you use plenty of sunscreen after treatment. Your skin will be sensitive to sunlight and should be well protected. You should also avoid perfumes, deodorants or hot showers or baths for up to 48 hours after treatment.
Remember if you have any further queries prior to your appointment please contact the team at The Dublin Laser Clinic and we’ll be happy to answer your questions.